Blood Sugar Balancing Breakfast Recipe Made from Heaven
This week’s recipe is great for thyroid health and blood sugar. The thyroid gland and blood sugar levels are closely interconnected, and a dysfunction in the thyroid gland can affect glucose metabolism.
This Apple Ginger Breakfast Medley is a great way to start your day with blood sugar-balancing ingredients that also support thyroid health. Green apples are lower on the glycemic index than other apples and many other fruits and cinnamon has been shown to aid in blood sugar control. Cinnamon may increase insulin sensitivity and enhance glucose uptake by cells.
The omega-3 fatty acids found in the flax oil are anti-inflammatory and aid in inflammation related to autoimmune thyroid conditions while the coconut cream enhances the conversion of the fatty acids. Consuming coconut with omega 3-rich foods increases the absorption and availability of the omega-3s.
The selenium found in Brazil nuts is essential for thyroid function and overall health. Selenium is the key component in the enzyme that converts the inactive form of thyroid hormone (T4) to the active form (T3), and it protects the thyroid gland from oxidative stress and inflammation.
The ginger and lemon juice do more than add delicious flavor. The ginger is anti-inflammatory and may help with insulin sensitivity, while the lemon juice adds loads of vitamin C which is essential for energy and a healthy immune function.
Try this recipe this week and change up the flavors by mixing and matching the toppings.
Apple Ginger Breakfast Medley
1 – 2 green apples, finely diced
1/8 – 1/4 cup Brazil nuts, soaked and chopped
1/4-inch piece of ginger, minced
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon Coconut Cream concentrate
- 1/2 tablespoon flax oil
- stevia as needed, to sweeten
- 1 teaspoon raw cacao powder (optional – for chocolate sauce)
Topping Ingredients (optional – choose one or more of):
- cacao nibs
- goji berries
- coconut flakes
- hemp seeds
- Make the sauce by blending Coconut Cream concentrate, flax oil, stevia, and raw cacao (if desired) until smooth and creamy.
- Add a small amount of water if needed to make it pourable. Place all ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Apples, ginger, and Brazil nuts can be chopped in a food processor with a food chopper tool. I use one from Pampered Chef.
Personal Note: “This recipe is very satiating. I feel full for many hours after eating it.”