Are you looking for something to do with all of those summer berries? Want something nice for summertime celebrations and parties? This is a simple, beautiful, and delicious pie. This recipe makes a 9″ pie.
INGREDIENTS – CRUST
- 1 cup finely shredded, unsweetened dried coconut
- 1 cup almonds, preferably soaked and dehydrated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup pecans, preferably soaked and dehydrated
- 1/2 cup pitted Medjool dates
INGREDIENTS – TOPPING
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- 1 banana, sliced
- Shredded coconut, as desired
INGREDIENTS – FILLING
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 1 banana
- 2 cups strawberries
- 1/2 cup coconut butter
- 4 pitted Medjool dates
- 1/2 teaspoon ground vanilla beans or vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sunflower lecithin
DIRECTIONS – CRUST
- Process the coconut, almonds, and salt in a food processor until finely ground.
- Add the pecans and process just until they are coarsely chopped.
- Add dates and process until the mixture begins to stick together.
- Press the crust mixture into a 9″ glass pie dish.
DIRECTIONS – FILLING
- Place the two sliced bananas in a medium-sized bowl and set aside.
- Put 1 banana, 2 cups of whole strawberries, coconut butter, dates, vanilla, and salt in a blender, and blend until smooth.
- Add the lecithin and blend until it is incorporated.
- Pour the mixture over the sliced bananas in the bowl and stir well.
- Spread the strawberry banana coconut filling into the pie crust.
- Decorate the top with banana slices, strawberry slices, and coconut flakes, if desired.
- Chill at least 4 hours.
TIP: For a lower glycemic version, omit the dates and add an equivalent amount of chia gel plus stevia, to taste
This recipe is taken from the book ‘Dessert: Making It Rich Without Oil‘ by Dr Ritamarie & Karen Osborne.