You can support your thyroid and immune health and still enjoy a delicious, sweet treat like these Peppermint Patty Candies. This recipe combines nuts and seeds, adaptogens, and essential oils with other functional foods to form a quick and easy candy.
There’s this interplay between the thyroid and the immune system. When one of them is out of balance, it affects the other. Whenever someone presents with a thyroid condition, we must get to the root of the problem, the underlying issue. The thyroid may be what’s showing symptoms when there is actually an underlying immune condition.
Pumpkin seeds are a rich source of nutrients and bioactive compounds that have been shown to support immune health, including zinc which is essential to create thyroid hormones and is required for healthy immune cells. Hemp seeds and chlorella are both high in protein and omega 3 fatty acids which aid in thyroid health, inflammation, and immune health. Coconut adds a delicious flavor while also adding lauric acid and polyphenols which help modulate the inflammatory cascade.
Chaga and cordyceps are medicinal mushrooms that have been shown to improve thyroid function, have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, as well as act as adaptogens. These help reduce inflammation in the thyroid gland and protect it from oxidative stress. These mushrooms also contain beta glucans which help to modulate the immune system.
The addition of essential oils, mint, tangerine, and frankincense, adds more antioxidants that aid in immune health but may also be beneficial for those with autoimmune thyroid. Frankincense has also been found to have immunomodulatory effects that may aid in autoimmune thyroid.
Kelp provides iodine which is not only necessary for thyroid function but also supports the immune system. Kelp also provides loads of other minerals, and one species, digitata, actually contains preformed T3 and T4.
The herbs nettles and chicory are excellent functional foods for overall health and the thyroid. Nettles is one of the herbs with the highest mineral content, and the thyroid and immune system need lots of minerals. Chicory is recognized as the richest source of inulin. It is a functional food that can serve as a sugar replacement that actually feeds the healthy gut microbiota. The intestinal lining must be in good repair to absorb nutrients necessary for a healthy thyroid.
This week’s recipe supports both the thyroid and the immune system with a low-glycemic treat that is perfect for the St. Patrick’s Day weekend.
Immune Boosting Peppermint Patty Candies
1. Process ground pumpkin seeds, coconut flakes, chlorella powder, hemp seeds, macadamia nuts, coconut cream/butter, and coconut oil until smooth. It takes a while. You want all the pieces broken down until it will stick together and form a ball.
2. Add vanilla powder, carob, cacao, chaga, cordyceps, essential oils, kelp, nettles, and chicory root powder and process again.
3. Form into patties or balls and roll in coconut flakes.
4. Place into silicon molds then put into freezer until firm.
- If you don’t like or have an intolerance to coconut, you can use macadamia nuts, cashews, Brazil nuts, or zucchini.
- For an all-chocolate flavor, you can use chocolate stevia. For a marzipan flavor, you can use almond extract instead of the other essential oils.
- You can vary the nuts and seeds, herbs, seasonings, and greens in this recipe to suit your taste and nutrient needs.
- The carob and cacao are both good for your immune system,
What is your opinion that people with hashimotos need to refrain from ingesting odine including kelp powder?
Sandi, for health-related questions, please email email@example.com and we’ll guide you to our options for working with our Nutritional Endocrinology Coaching team. Thank you ~