In a recent radio show, we were talking about the importance of understanding our values, and aligning that with the choices we have to make in our day-to-day life. These values don't stand on their own; they are interconnected much as our body systems are. You may say that your family is a top value for you, but if you don't have good health, you can't enjoy them like you want to. Maybe your spiritual life is a top value for you; however, having a body that is healthy and working properly will allow you to be more aware of these inner workings.
Having optimal health is a foundational value that will help you as you live your other core values to their fullest. We can all agree that this is important. But when you wake up and start your day, how do you apply these principles?
Having a plan is an essential component. Your health is not going to magically happen; there really is no magic pill that you can take that will suddenly align everything for you. However, being clear on your goals and values will help you as you create the actions necessary to lead you there. A simple action is to look at your calendar and prepare for the coming days, or even weeks.
This is where the Cauliflower Popcorn comes in. During the call, one of my Functional Nutrition coaches for the Energy Recharge Program and a health coach with her own practice, Lynn DeBuhr Johnson, mentioned how she makes this Cauliflower Popcorn when she goes to the movies. Snacking is where many people have a problem with staying the course on their chosen path. You may have a core value of spending time with friends, along with the core value of becoming healthy. Your friends want to go to the movie, and you know the minute you enter that theater that popcorn smell is going to hit you and you'll have this desire for some. Rather than just placing aside the value of health, find other ways to honor both values. You can make Cauliflower Popcorn, have a great tasting snack, and still feel great afterwards. Your friends will probably want to try your new popcorn, too, so make sure to bring extra.
- 2 heads of cauliflower (sectioned into florets – don't make them too small)
- 1/4 teaspoon good quality salt
- 2 Tablespoons good quality oil, like cold-pressed olive oil
- Nutritional yeast
- Place the florets in a large bowl, sprinkle on the salt, and mix with your hands, making sure that a uniform mixture is spread over the cauliflower.
- Drizzle the oil over the florets, and mix again with your hands, massaging them for full coverage.
- Now start sprinkling the nutritional yeast over the top, and start mixing that in with your hands.
- Keep sprinkling in nutritional yeast and mixing with your hands. You will want a thick covering on your cauliflower.
- If you have a dehydrator, you can lay the cauliflower onto your dehydrator screens. Start your dehydrating temperature for 145 degrees for the first 20-30 minutes, then turn it down to 110 degrees and dehydrate for 10-12 hours.
This is just one version. Just like there are many types of popcorn, there can be many types of cauliflower popcorn. If you want a more savory taste, add some rosemary or thyme to your mixture. If you want a sweeter taste, you can add some stevia. I've even tried marinating it in my raw marina mixture for an Italian taste.
You don't have to put it in the dehydrator, if you don't have one. It will have a chewier consistency if you dehydrate, while raw is crisper.
As you look over your calender, think about those events coming up and how you can plan and be prepared for them. You will then be honoring your values, removing stress in your life, and having more fun.
If you would like more ideas for foods that you can use as snacks or other events, my book Picnic Foods and Barbecue Ideas is a great way to start.
Be prepared for great things to happen for you as you prepare the things in your life!