Some people keep their potato salad recipe as secret as their family holiday recipes passed down through generations, but not me! I want to scream this one from the rooftops!
What I love about this recipe is that it’s fresh, delicious, and satisfying without the heaviness so characteristic of traditional potato salads.
It’s full of phytonutrients provided by all the seasonal vegetables and the hemp dressing is a great source of omega 3 fats and plant-based protein containing all nine essential amino acids. Plus, research suggests that hemp protein is well absorbed by the body.
Add it to the menu of your next barbeque or take it with you when a guest. People will love it and you’ll love knowing your contribution supports everyone’s best health.
Ingredients for Salad:
- jicama, cut into cubes
- tomatoes, cut into cubes
- green onions, chopped
- bell pepper (red, yellow or orange), chopped
- celery, chopped
- zucchini, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- lemon juice (optional)
- 1 cup fresh parsley
Ingredients for Dressing:
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1 cup macadamia nuts (or cashews or your choice combination of nuts)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon dill
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Secret Coconut Vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- sea salt, to taste
- 1/3 teaspoon konjac to thicken if needed
Directions for Dressing:
- Add hemp seeds, macadamia nuts, and water to Vitamix.
- Blend. Leave a little thick due to the water in the vegetables.
- Add turmeric, dill, mustard, lemon juice, coconut vinegar, and salt. Blend.
Directions for Salad:
- Mix jicama, tomatoes, green onions, bell pepper, celery and salt into a bowl.
- If desired, add lemon juice to soften.
- Add dressing and mix with hands.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon konjac if needed to thicken.
- Add parsley and mix with hands.