Alternative Oil-Free Sala Dressing that Everyone Should Know!
Today let's learn how to create a healthier oil-free salad Dressing.
There is no easier way to get a large variety of fresh, raw vegetables into a meal than throwing together a salad. But the question is how to make your salad much healthier and oil-free?
Whether cleaning out the fridge, visiting your local farmers market, or perusing the organic section in your favorite grocery store, a salad provides you the opportunity to create a nutrient dense meal that caters to what is available.
As long as the vegetables are fresh and organic (whenever possible), you can’t go wrong. And the more variety, the more likely you are to get the vast array of phytonutrients your body needs to function at its best.
Where I find most people get tripped up is the salad dressing.
Most store-bought dressings are high calorie, over-processed concoctions with little nutritional value and filled with a long list of chemical ingredients that run counter to the amazing benefits you get from eating a big bowl of fresh veggies.
There is also the misconception that no dressing is satisfying or complete without oil. This simply isn’t true. Personally, I feel any type of oil adds unhealthy fats and unnecessary calories. INE can teach you alternative ways how to make your salad dressing without the oil.
One of the easiest and fastest ways to make a delicious, nutritious oil-free salad dressing is using the vegetables you already have.
Easiest Salad Dressing Ever!
- Once you are finished making your salad, grab a couple of handfuls from your salad bowl and place them in a blender.
- Add some fresh herbs and/or seasonings and blend.
- Add a bit of water if necessary until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Add a whole food fat, like avocado, nuts, seeds or even pitted olives for a creamy texture (plus the fat helps the herbs get absorbed better)
That’s it! It’s as simple as that!
Below I’ve included two oil-free dressing recipes that are great with just about anything.
Even better-you probably have all the ingredients already in your kitchen!
“Honey” Mustard Dressing
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried garlic granules
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- stevia, to taste
Blend until smooth and creamy. Adjust water to desired consistency.
- 2 ½ tablespoons tahini
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sole water (water from Himalayan rock salt covered with water) or salt to taste or salicornia
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 clove garlic
- If desired, add ginger and turmeric
- Blend tahini, lemon juice, salt, and water in Vitamix.
- Add garlic and if desired add ginger and turmeric and blend.
- Add a little liquid if needed for consistency and blend.
One of my favotite variations is to add some fresh ginger and turmeric. This adds flavor and an anti-inflammatory effect. Yum.